The jury coordinated by Drapers magazine in the U.K. assigned this year's “Outstanding Contribution to Footwear Award” to Harvey Jacobson, the executive chairman of Jacobson Group.
The son of a shoe retailer in Manchester, Jacobson has put together a group that sells about 10 million pairs of shoes per year for a variety of major customers and under a number of important brands that it has taken over since 1966, such as Gola, Lotus, Frank Wright, Ravel and Dolcis. These brands now make up about half of the annual revenues of over £60 million (€74.2m-$94.9m) generated by the group, which started off 31 years ago as an importer of shoes from the Far East. Jacobson is still involved in his shoe business, participating in any strategic decisions, although he passed on the post last summer to the group's dynamic sales manager, Tony Evans.
Drapers' Footwear Awards were extended this time to also reward designers, brands and retailers specializing in hats, handbags and other accessories. In the footwear sector, the winners were, among others:
Cloggs, an online shoe retailer
Julian Hakes, designer
Schuh, the retailer taken over by Genesco
This Little Piggy, Scottish children's shoe retailer
Attic Boutique, store at Reigate, Surrey
Footwise, store in Kensington, London
Irregular Choice store on Carnaby Street
Vol. 14 - N°11&12 - May 22 , 2012
- Bankrupt MBT seeks an assets sale p 1
- Skechers settles toning shoe claims p 2
- Foot Solutions hires new talent p 2
- Clarks' globalization goes on p 3
- Rockport banks on women's,retail p 5
- Geox goes from better to worse p 6
- Strong growth for luxury brands p 7/9
- Quick Schuh launches an “e-service” p 9
- Yoox holds discussions with PPR p 9
- Scapino hosts Aktiesport p 10
- Ziylan wants to buy other brands p 10
- Harvey Jacobson gets major award p 12
Rich Footwear, Schiaparelli, Tanya Heath p 12, Theresia Muck, etc.
Management & Distribution
Birki's, Brown Shoe, Crocs, Jones Group, Sioux, etc.
Results & Statistics
Alpargatas p 12, Esprit, Mephisto, Phoenix Footwear, Pollini, R.G. Barry, Vulcabras p 11
A.Testoni, Astormueller, GMS, John Lobb, Manolo Blahnik, Royer, etc.