As of August 12, Cambodian footwear and other products such as garments and travel goods are subject to the European Union’s customs duties. The move comes after the EU decided to partially withdraw Cambodia’s duty-free quota-free access to the single market because of a lack of respect of human and labor rights.

The preferential treatment enjoyed by Cambodia under “Everything But Arms”, the EU’s trade arrangement for least developed countries, is now temporarily lifted due to “serious and systematic concerns” related to human rights in the country.

“The EU enforces this measure while staying open to engage with Cambodia on the necessary reforms,” the European Commission said in a statement.

The withdrawal of preferential access to the EU market concerns approximately 20 percent of Cambodia’s exports to the region. Cambodia can still export those products to the EU but they are now subject to general tariffs applicable to any other member of the World Trade Organization. The remaining 80 percent of Cambodia’s exports continue to enjoy preferential access to the EU market.